The scientific alternative to Yoga in Twickenham
Stretchology uses a range of individualised stretching techniques to help you increase and maintain flexibility
Stretchology is a scientific form of 1-2-1 assisted stretching, which uses a wide range of techniques to create flexibility and joint range of motion leaving you more mobile and less stiff.
Our Stretchologists have medical and exercise degrees, which means that you will be in safe hands while we work your body and push it to new ranges, which they have not been in for sometime. Whatever blog you read on the internet, it will tell you that one form of stretching is better than another BUT IN REALITY your body responds to different stretch techniques depending on what is the underlying cause of the tightness/tension.
Don’t worry we will work out what blend of stretching you require to maximise the time with us and the long term effect.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is Stretchology in Twickenham different to Yoga?
In Yoga, the aim is to get into a pose. Your body will do this through the path of least resistance. Although, it might feel like a lot of resistance!
This can lead to the flexible areas becoming more flexible and the stiffer areas staying stiff as they are not specifically targeted.
Have you been stretching your muscles but feel like they stiffen up again by the next time you stretch!? This is a common issue that we hear about.
Stretchology is different to Yoga as it will stop the flexible areas moving so that the stiff joints and muscles are targeted. This will ensure the stiffer parts move more. while stabilising the flexible parts. This is the answer to becoming mroe flexible.
Depending on the outcome of your assessment, we might use some stabilisation exercises to "switch on" muscles to pick up the slack. This will stop the tight muscles becoming overworking and tense.
How do I begin my Stretchology journey?
INITIAL ONE-TO-ONE ASSESSMENT
Initially, you will need to have a one-to-one assessment with the stretchologist so that they can understand more about you and your body. This will include:
- Range of motion testing
- Identifying what are the causes of why your muscles are tight and how they respond to different treatments
- Establishing how your muscles respond to different techniques
After this, your Stretchologist will guide you to which option below is most suitable for you.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF STRETCHOLOGY?
- Increase flexibility: making everyday activities easier
- Increase range of motion: to decrease tension in your joints and muscles which will help you to move more freely
- Improve posture: To improve muscle function and control around joints
- Relieve Stress: decrease your heart rate, slow down your breathing and encourage muscle relaxation
- Enhance recovery: reduce muscle stiffness and soreness by increasing blood flow and lengthening muscle spindles
- Enhance performance: activate key muscle groups to help them support your body as you strive to achieve your goals